Programme Aims and Philosophy
Sustainable development of the society is facing a lot of challenging issues. Energy and environment are especially the top two issues on the list as global populations and subsequent welfare demands increase. Additionally, the innovation of technologies is critical to the high-efficient infrastructure. How to solve the energy crisis and environmental pollution, and provide innovative key technologies at the same time is the question we must answer. The fundamental solution lies in the basic components, that is, the advanced materials involved in various functions, such as energy harvesting/storage/utilization, pollution control/degradation/conversion, and advanced devices, which is of utmost importance to diversify our supply sources and meet society’s needs. “Innovative Materials” focuses on “innovation”, which is referring to the design and preparation of new materials to meet the needs of sustainable development and to achieve harmony between society and nature.
The Master of Science in Innovative Materials programme encompasses the combined fundamental and engineering study on the design and applications of novel materials with superior properties that can satisfy the society’s requirements on innovation and sustainability. This programme provides students with an understanding of the full raw and novel material values and knowledge for innovation focusing on sustainability, and the prospect for the graduates to pursue specialized knowledge in applied physics, chemistry, materials science and engineering, green energy technologies, environments, devices, smart city, etc. Through the programme, students will become specialists in the field of advanced materials, who shall be skillful and multi-talented researchers for local, regional, and global academic and industrial areas.
Please see UM Graduate School webpage
- Follow the general admission regulations and requirements of the University;
- Candidates for the MSc programme in Innovative Materials should hold a Bachelor Degree in Physics, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, Energy and Power Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electromechanical Engineering, Civil and Environmental Engineering, or related disciplines from the University of Macau or other recognized universities, or equivalent academic qualification.
English Proficiency Requirement
1. Applicants who received their Bachelor’s / Master’s degree from a university where the medium of instruction was not English are required to provide one of the following as proof of English proficiency :
- Obtained a Level 6 of the College English Test (CET) score of 430 or;
- Obtained a TOEFL* score of 550 (paper-based examination)/ 80 (Internet-based examination) or;
- An IELTS* overall score of 6.0 or above with no sub-score lower than 5.5 or;
- Passed the Level 4 or Level 8 of the Test for English Majors (TEM).
*Note : TOEFL and IELTS scores are valid for two years from the test date.
2. Applicants who received their Bachelor’s / Master’s degree from a university where the medium of instruction was English are required to provide a proof of English as the medium of instruction, if deemed necessary, issued by the applicants’ university where their Bachelor’s / Master’s degree was obtained (UM’s current students and graduates are not required to provide such proof).
|Compulsory Courses||Total Lecture Hours||Credits|
|APME7001||Development on Innovative Materials||45||3|
|APME7002||Eco-friendly Materials for Sustainability||45||3|
|APME7003||Sustainable Energy Harvesting Technologies||45||3|
|APME7004||Technologies for Materials Characterization||45||3|
|Students are required to take 4 of the following courses to obtain 12 credits:|
|List of elective courses||Total Lecture Hours||Credits|
|APME7005||Advanced Energy Storage Technologies||45||3|
|APME7006||Special Topics in Emerging Materials||45||3|
|APME7007||Energy, Environment and Sustainable Development||45||3|
|APME7009||Introduction of Solid State Materials||45||3|
|APME7011||Micro and Nano Systems||45||3|
|APME7012||Principles of Quantum Mechanics||45||3|
|APME7013||Semiconductor Materials and Physics||45||3|
General Rules Governing Master Programmes:
For more details, please visit our Registry and Graduate School websites:
Registry – http://www.um.edu.mo/reg/
Graduate School – http://www.um.edu.mo/grs/en/